Superbowl 2017: Patriots vs Falcons

WOW. Congrats to @WallStreetOasis.com"'s Patriots, they came back from being down 28-3 in one of the best games I've ever seen.

-First-ever Super Bowl to go to overtime (28-28)
-MVP Tom Brady adds to his legend with masterful OT drive
-They trailed 3-28 and eventually won 35-28
-25 points in second half without reply as Falcons choke
-Julian Edelman makes amazing tide-turning catch
-Winning touchdown scored by James White, his third

As much as I'd love Goodell having to hand a trophy to Brady, I'm taking the Falcons on this one.

Also, 57 might actually be low. A 37-24 type game isn't out of the realm of possibility here, or 44-36 if you take both of their scores from this past week.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

CRE:
Also, 57 might actually be low. A 37-24 type game isn't out of the realm of possibility here, or 44-36 if you take both of their scores from this past week.

I get the feeling you don't bet too often. The over might come out for sure, but that o/u is certainly not low haha. It doesn't take all that much defense at all to derail a 57 pt total trust me.

the loss is still fresh, so I say fuck the falcons.

next week and the week after, I'll be meh about it. I just hope for a game more like the 2014 super bowl, as opposed to last year's snore fest.

I'll say the same thing I said in the playoffs thread: pats over birds: 35-32.

based upon last night's game, Brady for Super Bowl MVP & league MVP. I think if Blount has a tough time and they use Lewis like they did in the divisional, he'll win MVP of the game.

I say give it to Brady, but that's probably the salty cheesehead in me talking

Absolutely right on Blount. Blount is a Colts-defense killer and does well against those kind of weak defenses. He was garbage against SEA and ATL who run similar defensive schemes. Dion Lewis is like a better version of Shane Vereen.

Falcons have weapons all over the field, Pats secondary is definitely questionable. That being said Bill always has a plan, I have to place my trust in the man. Not to mention average QB's have put up notable numbers on the Atlanta Defense all year, so NE should have an absolute field day with the ball. Pats -2.5 and the over. Pray for my bank account

The falcons D has really stepped it up in the last 5ish weeks. Granted part of that started against some weak teams but I though they did a great job in both playoff games so far. This defense has a ton of youth so its not really unexpected to see drastic improvement since the start of the year.

Now can the contain Brady? No clue but I think they will look better than the Steelers did because they are more athletic and play more man coverage.

Best Response

Where are all the deflategate haters.... ?! I thought Tom needed the deflated balls to play well?! I thought the Patriots had the lowest rate of fumbles because of the deflated balls!? whoops......

A few questions I'd like everyone to think about in terms of Pats motivation, mostly centered around the embarrassment that is Deflategate:

1. When has a favorite like the Pats been able to look at their GOAT quarterback and realize that he was suspended for 4 GAMES for absolute bullshit?

2. When has that QB been able to prove that it was bullshit in back to back years putting up #s with FULLY INFLATED BALLS that are arguably BETTER THAN EVER by any quarterback EVER...but at age 38 and 39? But he's still is forced to sit out the first 4 games of the season and the team loses a first round pick + $1 million (unprecedented penalty to appease all the other butthurt owners)...

3. When was the last time the GOAT gone up against a non top 5 defense in the Superbowl? What are the Falcons ranked? #25?

4. What do you think the #1 Defense (Patriots in terms of Pts allowed) in the league is going to do after Atlanta put up HUGE #s against GB in the NFC Championship?

5. You would bet against Belichick and Brady? Are you sure?

The way I see it, this Superbowl is not even close. Even though it makes me nervous and seeing how amazing Julio Jones and the ATL falcons looked, I'm calling a MAJOR blowout by the Pats.

44 Patriots - 20 Falcons

...This will include 4 TDs by Brady, 1 by Blount and 3 FGs by Gostkowski
I'd also like to say that this team has been such an incredible joy to watch, even if the Superbowl doesn't work out and I am dead wrong.

Don't take the points against the Pats...EVER. Patriots played like shit against the Texans and they still covered -16.

Just imagine if Gronk miraculously came back (long shot I know) - but Brady/Belichick having two weeks to prepare to take away your best opportunity, come on. Defense is coming along - the promising thing from the Steelers came from a defensive standpoint was that Pats were tackling well in the open field... will be critical with the likes of Freeman / Sanu / Gabriel / and of course the alien Julio Jones

"Straight Cash, homie"-Randy Moss

The homer's are coming out in this thread and the Northeast bias is really shining through. Time to counter with some SE bias.

Falcons 56 Patriots 20

Alright, that maybe a little ambitious, but, I think it will be close and it will come down to a game winning drive by Matty Ice, who has won more games in Boston than Tom Brady.

The end of the dynasty has come.

Rise up mothafu**as.

Play the long game - give back, help out, mentor - just don't ever forget where you came from. #Bootstrapped

I'll be the obnoxious Pats guy again. The way I see it you need at least 1 of the following 2 things to win: An elite QB and/or an elite Defense.

Elite QBs The Falcons have an elite offense but an elite QB they have not (sorry, one good season doesn't make up for a 75-47 TD-INT ratio over the last 3 seasons). Having said that, there is no question the ATL offense is better than NE's. New England have Tommy Boy though, and he is, along with Rodgers imho, the only true elite QB in the league today. So I look at it like this, ATL gets the nod on the offensive side of the ball but the absence of an elite QB makes the difference between the two teams smaller than what people think.

Elite Defense If you don't have an elite QB you damn better have a great Defense. Denver, Seattle, Baltimore, New York are just a couple examples of recent winners. Now, I'll quote one site which puts it pretty plainly: "23 Super Bowl champions have ranked #1 or #2 on defense, compared to 17 champions that ranked #1 or #2 on offense". The Pats are the #1 scoring Defense, ATL is currently ranked #27. There, no need for any fancy shmancy ESPN statistics adjusted for SOS and SOV. The best defenses win against the best offenses more often than the other way around.

Boils down to this: ATL has a slightly better offense while NE has the better Defense but while the Offensive rankings are #1 and #3, the Defensive rankings are #27 and #1 respectively. New England wins 31-21, I do think this will be a great game.

The whole #1 defense argument is laughable when you've played the league's easiest schedule of offenses.

Getting to face a down-year at best Carson Palmer, Osweiler twice, Tyrod Taylor twice, Charlie Whitehurst, Cody Kessler, Landry Jones, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jared Goff, Bryce Petty and Matt More will make even an average NFL defense look like the '85 Bears. The first big test of the Pat's defense was last week, and they passed. Albeit without the NFL's best rusher for 3/4 of the game. It remains to be seen if the Pat's can consistently stop a high-powered offense.

What's that you say, the Falcons' offense really isn't that great? They just posed the best offensive season since the Greatest Show on Turf and did it against the league's most difficult schedule of defenses.

I think it'll be a great game with both defenses struggling to stop great offenses. Pat's should be the favorite due to the Brady / Bill combo, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons pull off an upset.

I know it is last minute, but I looked around on TripAdvisor and could not find any reasonable deals to my liking. I also looked into AirBnB but they are either extremely expensive or way too far from the venue. HotelsDifferently has some good deals in the city but those are mostly 5 star hotels and out of my budget. Any help would be much appreciated. This will be my first Superbowl btw! Thanks people!

No offense but they had a gift basket from the patriots in the first half. How many times do the Patriots turn the ball over like that? I knew the ATL defense wasn't all that and thank god this shuts up the Arodg dick-riders until September who think he's better than Brady. Nobody has more grit than Tom Brady.

Still in shock by how dramatic it was, but not shocked that they won....

I mean, when they went down 7 pts, I was like, ok, no big deal... when they went down 14 pts after the fumble, i was, ok, just need to get a stop... defense played great... Patriots driving again, although ATL defense was playing great as well...

Then the Pick 6 happened...it was at that point that I thought....ok, we are about to see one of the greatest games of all time. Pats had turned the ball over twice in a half when they almost NEVER do that.

Pats were moving the ball and the defense for the most part was keeping ATL in check and getting some stops, so I thought we were still in it...

Low point: We get a critical 3 and out to start the 2nd half, Edelman gives us great field position and the offense does nothing AGAIN. ATL drives down the field and makes it 28-3... I still managed to text anyone that would listen "Don't bet against Tom Brady." at this point. I knew that there best would come out and even if we didn't win, we could make it interesting if we stopped shooting ourselves in the foot.

I think at this point, any normal team would have folded. But the Patriots just kept going and started on another methodical drive, this time finally reaching the end zone, only for them to miss the Extra Point... at this point is was 28-9, still less than a 5% chance, but the computers don't factor in Brady's clutch history, so I was thinking we have a shot. When they couldn't punch it in on their next drive but they at least kicked a FG to make it a 2 score game (16pts) I thought it gave us a big jolt of hope. 2 scores can happen very fast. At this point, most of my family was bitching, my cousin was making annoying comments...all I sad was "It's not over. Never bet against Tom Brady."

I knew, if they could hold ATL again (and the Pats D gave us no reason to think that they couldn't) and that we could get one more TD to make it a 1 score game, the rest would take care of itself. ATL would tighten up and the Patriots have the best person on the planet to lead that comeback.

What was shocking was the miraculous Julio catch that got them in FG range, followed by an incredible sack and holding penalty. When that happened, I was already losing my voice and I knew we were getting the ball back with a chance to make it a 1 score game :-)

When they got the strip sack and punched in another TD, I knew it was time :-) I cant even remember the sequence clearly.

The rest was a blur...I was screaming, ready at each stage to be disappointed (ok, we got a TD to tie it, but still needed the 2pt conversion).

The coin toss went Pats and it was game over before I could blink.

Just amazing...simply amazing.

Vero blanditiis et laborum modi quae quo. Magnam ut laborum quaerat optio rem qui qui beatae. Ad nulla voluptatem ut rerum illum. Odio odit voluptatum quia illum itaque nihil.

Neque illum deleniti fuga nihil omnis. Fuga sit dolorem dicta qui. Error praesentium assumenda rerum officia architecto doloribus nulla.

Vel dignissimos ut soluta sed excepturi. Dolor labore eveniet molestias voluptatem quasi porro error. In quo perspiciatis quo corrupti.

Distinctio veniam excepturi maiores enim. Amet voluptate totam tempore consectetur. Veritatis et nostrum quo eum dolorem ipsa.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”