The Cure for Higher Prices | The Daily Peel | 7/13/22

Silver Banana goes to...

Logo

Market Snapshot

Futures slowly moved lower and lower prior to the opening bell on fears of an inbound recession and crappy earnings. The two-year and the five-year yields were both above the ten-year yield, signaling an inversion in the yield curve. Crude lost $5 in the morning only to close just below $95.50, and BTC and ETH both retreated.

Markets moved lower by the end of the day. The Dow lost 0.62%, the Nasdaq was down 0.95%, and the S&P lost 0.92%.

The M&A Science Academy has what you need to master M&A. Learn about diligence, integration, change management, and more through videos, ebooks, and downloadable checklists, all at your own pace. Use code (dailypeel) for 30% off your subscription. Sign up today

Let’s get into it.

Banana Bits

• Work-life balance, you say? Yeah, WFH is on the decline
  • Say what you want about the state of America, Prime Day should probably be a national holiday
  • New to M&A? The best way to learn it is from the best, and we know where to find them
  • The battered IoT home fitness equipment maker Peloton is planning to outsource all manufacturing
  • Everyone likes a bull, but small biz owners are fearful for their livelihoods
  • Starbucks is closing 16 stores across the country, empowering store managers to close restrooms off to the less fortunate because of workers’ complaints

Banana Brain Teaser

Yesterday — Where are the lakes always empty, the mountains always flat, and the rivers always still?

On maps.

Today — For today’s BBT, we will slash 47 bananas off of our Resume Review service for the first 10 correct respondents. Here we go:

What are two things you can’t eat for dinner?

Shoot us your guesses at [email protected] with the subject line "Banana Brain Teaser" or simply click here to reply!

Macro Monkey Says

USD-EUR Parity — We put together a piece in the Macro Monkey a few weeks ago about strong dollar economics. I won’t recap it for you because you only have a few minutes to read our rants.

This week the Dollar has achieved parity with the Euro. Or, better put, the Euro has lost value. In all, the funny-colored bills from across the pond gave up approximately a 20-cent advantage in the last year.

I’d argue that now is the time to buy your flights to Europe for next spring and summer. A strong Dollar/weak Euro relationship is amazing for tourists.

But is it good for businesses? A beneficial exchange rate makes it nominally cheaper to import goods from a foreign land.

Interestingly, this trend has been noted amongst French luxury goods. High fashion retailers from the land of the Eiffel Tower have already noticed boosts to their bottom lines as the Euro has lost strength. It turns out that their goods are just that more attractive.

For the US economy, in a macro environment that has proposed a return to America First Manufacturing, a strong Dollar makes it that much harder to invest in a more industrial economy. The incentives just don’t align to force that investment.

Indeed, importing raw materials, process inputs, pre-fabricated components, and assemblies are way more attractive if you can somehow navigate supply chains and get your goods from overseas.

Historical data also shows us that a weak dollar is good for businesses. Companies routinely benefit from a weaker currency, particularly multinationals that do business in many countries but do their accounting primarily in dollars. This translates to the hypothesis that a weak dollar = higher stock prices.

What does a strong dollar mean in the DeFi space? I have a decently off-putting answer for you: I have no clue and couldn’t point you to an expert to satisfy your questions. Given that there’s still debate between asset, inflation hedge, or currency for some of these shitcoins, I think the jury still might be out.

All that I know is that I’m booking my flights this week. See you in Europe, apes.

The M&A Science Academy
Is the New Way to Learn M&A

banner

The academy is a self-paced, online learning platform that includes 50+ M&A courses that cover a variety of topics.

Learn about diligence, integration, change management, valuation, and more. Each course is taught by a leading industry expert and lessons include videos, ebooks, quizzes, and downloadable checklists. Members also have exclusive access to quarterly summits, networking events, and roundtable discussions. Use code (dailypeel) for 30% off a monthly or annual subscription.

Sign up today

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

What's Ripe

Peloton ($PTON) — Shares of Peloton climbed 3.70% after some significant news yesterday.

In an attempt to optimize its cost structure, $PTON is sending its manufacturing overseas. Instead of making bikes themselves, they’re moving towards a contract manufacturing model. This eliminates a huge chunk of the supply chain headaches for them. Investors ate this news up.

Canoo Inc ($GOEV) — Shares of $GOEV ripped higher in some of the coolest news of the day. These cats are partnering with GM to move towards a Walmart EV delivery fleet.

On the news, shares soared, ending Tuesday up 53.16%.

What's Rotten

ServiceNow ($NOW) — Shares of $NOW took a fat, steaming dump yesterday. Their CEO ran his fat mouth and delivered some obvious news similar to my Macro Monkey for today.

He thinks that tech companies, in general, won’t be able to outrun a strong Dollar. No sh*t, Sherlock. Shares lost 12.74% yesterday.

Atlassian ($TEAM) — Shares of $TEAM shed 8.70% today. Their price target was slashed and their rating cut by Morgan Stanley.

There’s also this general feeling that a recession is looming, the dollar is too strong for companies in the software or tech biz, and businesses are tightening their belts.

Thought Banana

The Cure for Higher Prices — As the cliche goes, the solution to the problem of higher prices is higher prices.

When prices move higher, consumers are less likely to spend more money, which can *eventually* introduce some stability. It’s supply and demand: the consumer eventually doesn’t want to buy the same goods and services while shelling out more of their hard-earned bananas.

There’s a problem with this explanation, though. It takes too damn long.

Remember the peak inflation argument from two months ago? When the markets rejoiced because we thought, wow - inflation is high, but it can’t get any worse!

That wasn’t the case, and potential 50 bps rate hikes turned into potential 75 bps rate hikes. I don’t want to recap the last couple of months’ worth of headline CPI prints because PTSD is real, but prices haven’t stopped kicking us in the wallets.

There’s no magic button to cure the inflation problem. Political pundits always joke about a button in the oval office to just lock prices in at certain levels on certain goods. Frankly, that’s not how reality works in the real world.

I watch a lot of interviews with business leaders, mostly of US Fortune 500 companies. While economists and politicians appear to be hell-bent on killing the inflation beast, CEOs and CFOs appear to be at peace, sanguine even, with the idea that the economy is going to be in an inflationary environment for quite some time.

Reading through the lines: businesses are going to protect their margins. Anyone with pricing power is going to exploit it. On the contrary, if you don’t have pricing power, your margins are going to shrink. This tendency is going to slash bottom lines for companies far and wide.

Wise Investor Says

“Haste in every business brings failures.” — Herodotus, Greek Historian, 484-425 B.C.

Happy Investing, Patrick & The Daily Peel Team Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up for the WSO Daily Peel here.   ADVERTISE // WSO ALPHA // COURSES // LEGAL

Join 110,000+ Wise Primates

Subscribe to get the most critical market moves each morning, Monday through Friday.

Nisi possimus omnis doloribus assumenda voluptate sunt nam. Omnis magni odit et sunt reiciendis vitae aut velit.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”