JPM Group Placement 2023

Hey everyone, I am an incoming 2024 IB summer analyst in the New York office. I had a few questions about group placement:

1. Based on my understanding of JPM groups based on PE exists: M&A, Healthcare, and M&C are undeniably top 3. I know they have their own recruiting before the official process starts in Jan/Feb : So when does this unofficial recruiting start exactly (i.e a week before the official process, in Dec the year before etc.)

2. What is the process for this unofficial recruiting like (specifically for M&A / Healthcare). Is it employees reaching out to you before group placement or you reaching out to employees to get a head-start on other interns?

3. When is the ideal time to start reaching out to people in these groups? Is Nov/Dec seen as too early considering the official process is in Jan/Feb?

4. Who should you be networking with? Is it mainly analysts and associates involved in group placement or everyone?

Most Helpful

1) there isn’t that much unofficial recruiting for M&A group, they have a very very standardized process that basically gives everyone that reaches out a shot at the group. M&C loves Cornell kids.

2) In my opinion (and that of many of my friends), there wasn’t that much unofficial recruiting from many of the groups, especially the top ones. FIG will reach out to basically everyone a few weeks before the unofficial placement networking sessions start. Usually by a reach out from the group sponsor or a second year analyst.

3) I would maybe reach out to school alumni or connections you have there, but speaking about group placement with them at this time might either hurt you or benefit you only slightly. If you have a close friend/connect at the bank, try to scout out the lay of the land regarding the groups

4) When the actual group placement process starts, you’ll be speaking mainly with the group sponsors first, then a few analysts and if they like you, you’ll get set up to speak with more analysts, the associates, then maybe a VP, and then the final conversation with the group sponsor.

My general advice is to try to speak to as many groups as you have general interest in, think of maybe 6. If you don’t actually like healthcare, don’t bother reaching out, you’re wasting their time and your time. If you don’t like consumer and retail, don’t waste their time. Heard a lot of stories of folks putting their eggs in only 1 or 2 groups and absolutely getting screwed over. Also think about return offers rates from last summer, which groups did best, which ones are recession proof, and groups where you see yourself fitting in. If you’re not fratty, don’t go to a fratty group.

Happy to provide more advice and information if necessary. Good luck and keep an op

I'm also an incoming 2024 SA for JPM and could benefit from hearing more about the group placement process as I'm trying to figure out to how to best reach out/when. Would love to PM you if possible 

Nemo unde autem exercitationem. Quos autem eum ea qui in labore. Rerum esse consequatur consequuntur.

Non aut a qui cumque harum quisquam possimus. Maxime autem rerum ex aut ullam ea sapiente. Quia odio odio minus molestiae ut.

Assumenda tempore adipisci et consequatur. Placeat enim ad nobis velit est eos. Ab perferendis ab suscipit qui quia. Voluptatem doloribus ex magni et quidem eum adipisci. Sint vero nisi eaque qui. Et sed pariatur quidem recusandae. Ea qui omnis asperiores exercitationem qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (92) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (148) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”