Re-Recruiting for SA 2026 by Lying About Graduation Year (IB)

Hello, SA 2025 has been pretty rough and I don't think I'm going to get an offer. I'm considering re-recruiting for SA 2026. I'm going to put Class of 2027 on my resume even though I still plan on graduating in 2026. Let's say hypothetically I get an SA 2026 offer, will I run into any issues if I graduate a year earlier than what's on my resume?

I'm SA 2025, but I would imagine that they will eventually ask for your transcript which will show that you're class of 2026. I'd say just try to re-recruit for SA 2025. You'll be much better off that way. 

They will catch you. A general word of advice, "xxx by lying xxx" is never a good idea.

I have seen this exact situation happen before. HR will do it out of principle.

Ah I see. Tbh I know a few people who did do it and didn’t get caught but it’s always a definite risk. You can probably just recruit for a regional boutique and try to lateral

take a sem off to work, when re recruiting tell them you took a sem off to work so you could pay for college, grad in december after sa 2026. not that hard of a plan to put together dude

Most Helpful

Poor choice of words on my part. I’d just take an extra semester if you could find a way to swing it. If you read all the applications for SA 2025, they say something to the effect of “… graduating between December 2025 and June 2026 and have a preferred GPA of 3.5 or above.” So for SA 26, I’d imagine they’ll say “…between December 2026 and June 2027.” If you are set to graduate in May 2026/June 2026, an extra semester would qualify you within that window, and it’d give you a little extra time to network and study. If you’re disciplined in your prep and willing to bet on yourself, you could land something that, if you’re financially responsible, could offset any potential debt. Obviously, these are just my opinions, and I don’t know your situation, so don’t MS me. I will say, I know people who financed their entire education with debt at top schools, and never regretted it because of the opportunities they got as a result. Again, though, I don’t know your situation, so ultimately do what you think is right. Best of luck with everything!

Unless you are an international student, seconding above comment on just taking a gap semester to work. You can graduate later without an issue if you do that.

Sit vero sit id rerum. Voluptatum consectetur sapiente odit inventore ipsam qui itaque. Neque aliquam possimus laboriosam sequi explicabo incidunt.

Molestiae tempora amet qui fugit voluptatem animi. Et delectus nostrum iste et consequuntur enim libero possimus. Ipsum ut aliquid nemo repellat. Tenetur accusantium blanditiis vel et consequatur porro.

Vitae asperiores blanditiis eos. Alias commodi et enim mollitia. Eum eos voluptas nihil aspernatur et eveniet. Id est asperiores explicabo et praesentium. Voluptatum maiores dolores ullam deserunt exercitationem voluptatibus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”