Need Advice - Graduated in 2009 with degree in Economics

This post might get lengthy as I feel it is necessary to provide adequate information about my background. For this reason, I apologize in advance but I would greatly appreciate everyone's input.

I graduated in 2009 from the University of Tennessee with a degree in Economics. My GPA was an unimpressive 2.9. During my time at UT, I worked as an intern for Smith Barney. After graduation, I wanted to work in finance but struggled to land a desirable position. After several months of job searching and blaming my poor GPA, I settled for a sales role in an unrelated industry in Tampa, FL.

After working in sales for one year, I decided to go back to school to pursue my MBA in an effort to make myself a more desirable candidate for finance and investment related positions. Again due to my undergraduate GPA and unimpressive work history, I ended up enrolling in the University of Mississippi's MBA program.

I've now almost finished my MBA with a more satisfactory 3.5 GPA. Despite not being quite finished with my degree, I have included the MBA on my resume. After distributing my resume again to local investment companies and recruiters again, I am still struggling to even get an interview. I network like a mad man via Linkedin and personal connections. Still no luck.

At this point, I'm still working in sales (which I absolutely hate) and cannot seem to find a solid opportunity in Tampa. Frustration has led me to begin the University of California Berkeley's certificate program in finance with a focus on capital markets. Up to this point, the schools on my resume have lacked the allure of Cal Berkeley so I'm hoping this helps.

So I'm here to ask;
1.) Do you think the certificate program is even worth my time and efforts?
2.) Do you have any suggestions of what else I could be doing to make myself more appealing to employers?
3.) I am worried that it will become increasing difficult to get a desirable finance job as I've now worked myself into a niche as a "sales guy".

I'd love to hear some opinions to help me brainstorm. I have to get out of this sales role ASAP. I hate it.

MBA from U Mississipii is a waste of money and time. I'd look into the MFE (Masters Fin Engineering) or MACC (Masters Accountancy) if you want a shot at FS. Top banks don't even look beyond the top 10 b-schools as there is more than enough supply of students given the demand by the banks.

Good Luck

Wharton/HBS

Best Response

1) Sorry, I failed to mention my primary goal. Ideally, I would love to in private equity, venture capital, or alternative investments. I'm also fairly interested in commodity trading. If all else fails, I would at least like to get involved in consulting.

2) I'll be the first to admit the Univ of Mississippi may not be a target school but to say it is a "waste of money and time" might be an exaggeration. I'm not necessarily looking to join an elite bank right off the bat. I don't even want to leave Tampa so my options are limited. I appreciate your advice but I don't plan to add another masters degree.

3) What is a p/l %?

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”