CVP 2025 Summer Analyst Class Is A JOKE

I'm officially fed up. For as highly regarded as CVP is in the finance world, they always seem to take the LEAST qualified interns. Just from browsing LinkedIn, there are SO MANY non-target hires (think USC/Dartmouth).. Make it make sense! For a firm as prestigious and small as CVP, I am wondering how they make so many mistakes in their recruiting process.

I am at a top target school (think Wharton/Harvard/Ross), have spent a majority of my time networking there, and did not even receive a first round. Does anyone know why they take such unqualified candidates? Is it all nepotism or am I looking at this incorrectly? I just feel as though they randomly give out spots to people who do not understand how much gravity an offer at CVP holds. Maybe I'm just ranting, but any insight on what they look for in a candidate would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I know I may just be salty, but is it fair to say that CVP is losing some of its prestige due to its poor recruiting? I know they have been historically good, but are they falling? What metric is best to look at for this stat?

[Comment removed by mod team]

Think about it through their lens. They have a potential client and the way to win them over is to hire one of their kids. This would cost them less than <$100k for a summer and could be the reason why a deal gets brought in

Is this true? Would definitely help mend my confidence if so haha.

If you haven’t figured that out, I doubt you were CVP material to begin with

Most Helpful

Maybe I’m washed but I can’t even tell if this is a shitpost 

I’m tired of these fruit cup mfs circle jerking each other off. Touch some grass. No one wants to work with some loser that makes IB prestige their life since high school. I would be more embarrassed that you got lapped by some non target. Score board bud. I went to a target and genuinely cringe everytime I talk to 75% of current day socially handicapped target school kids. 

I think a lot of students don’t want to hear this, but 95% of the battle is going to be soft skills.

I’m from a semi non target, don’t have the best technicals skills, but I have great soft skills. I have had amazing internship and job opportunities.

The reality is there’s 100 kids from the top schools interviewing for these spots. In reality all the students have the same skills +/- 5%. No one is going to go “Yeah he has a 4.0 at Cornell, but we should go with the kid who has a 3.8 at Wharton because it’s ranked 10 spots higher”. There is little you can do to differentiate yourself.

Since all the candidates pretty much have the same baseline skills, the biggest battle is “who can I tolerate more for a summer”, “can I see myself grabbing a beer with this kid”, etc.. That’s the angle that’s going to ultimately get you the job IMO.

I think a lot of students don’t want to hear this, but 95% of the battle is going to be soft skills.

I’m from a semi non target, don’t have the best technicals skills, but I have great soft skills. I have had amazing internship and job opportunities.

The reality is there’s 100 kids from the top schools interviewing for these spots. In reality all the students have the same skills +/- 5%. No one is going to go “Yeah he has a 4.0 at Cornell, but we should go with the kid who has a 3.8 at Wharton because it’s ranked 10 spots higher”. There is little you can do to differentiate yourself.

Since all the candidates pretty much have the same baseline skills, the biggest battle is “who can I tolerate more for a summer”, “can I see myself grabbing a beer with this kid”, etc.. That’s the angle that’s going to ultimately get you the job IMO.

Trust me dude, I wish that it was the case that soft skills hold that much weight, but they don’t. It’s more like 50/50 at the analyst level recruiting. I went through ib recruiting in undergrad and PE recruiting at MBA. My behaviorals were immaculate, that as the feedback I was given, but I was asked to interview with the pwm team instead at the banks i interviewed with bc my technicals were pretty bad. For PE recruiting at MBA, they asked me to do investor relations instead after the first round of technicals lmao. My point is to say that it’s definitely not a 95% weight on soft skills or else I would have landed all the roles I was moved out of in favor of less technical and pure client-facing roles.

Maybe I’m washed but I can’t even tell if this is a shitpost 

I’m tired of these fruit cup mfs circle jerking each other off. Touch some grass. No one wants to work with some loser that makes IB prestige their life since high school. I would be more embarrassed that you got lapped by some non target. Score board bud. I went to a target and genuinely cringe everytime I talk to 75% of current day socially handicapped target school kids. 

Guys, there’s no way this is not a shitpost. It should have been a dead giveaway when he grouped Ross with Harvard.

Don't think anyone placed this year though even though they came to campus twice and we visited the NYC office. At least to my knowledge, idk if anyone placed for SA 2025 from Emory even though we always place 1 at least.

You just made a more compelling case about why CVP is cooked than OP did in three paragraphs

I pray to god you’re not joining my firm. You are the type of dweeb who didn’t get stuffed in enough lockers in high school—you don’t belong at CVP, or any investment bank, with that attitude. I would seriously rethink your entire ethos dude

Lehmanade

I pray to god you’re not joining my firm. You are the type of dweeb who didn’t get stuffed in enough lockers in high school—you don’t belong at CVP, or any investment bank, with that attitude. I would seriously rethink your entire ethos dude

I hope you’re not at my firm either with the way you fell for an obvious shitpost. Him grouping Ross with Harvard should have been a dead giveaway

This is one of the craziest posts I’ve seen in a while. You can’t honestly be so arrogant that you believe that because you go to a “target” school, you’re therefore smarter and more qualified than every student at every non-target school. Insane take.

selenagomezsdad

This is one of the craziest posts I’ve seen in a while. You can’t honestly be so arrogant that you believe that because you go to a “target” school, you’re therefore smarter and more qualified than every student at every non-target school. Insane take.

He must be smarter than you at least for you to take the bait in this shitpost. I’m not a fan of umich, but setting that aside, there’s no way this post wasn’t a hit job on Ross with the way he tried to group it with Harvard lmao 

How does this kid live rent free in all of y’all’s head. This just sad yall are still doxxing and talking shit about him months later. Get a dam grip.

Is this supposed to be in reference to something?

Are you slow? I attend usc so I’m biased but we are objectively a west coast target. You suggesting that our placements into CVP SF are illegitimate is insane. Keep grinding lil bro

people be hating on usc. Imo best school on the west coast socially and academically.

Imagine sitting yourself down and taking the time out of your day to shit on candidates who beat you out for the spot. It might be wise for you to invest in some makeup because you look like a clown with this post. Made me laugh though

For everyone saying USC is not a target school:

(2025)

⁃    RBC SF
    ⁃    Centerview SF
    ⁃    Centerview NYC 
    ⁃    Centerview NYC
    ⁃    BOFA PA 
    ⁃    BOFA LA
    ⁃    Goldman NYC
    ⁃    Goldman NYC
    ⁃    Goldman TMT SF
    ⁃    Goldman TMT SF
    ⁃    Evercore NYC
    ⁃    JPM Houston
    ⁃    JPM SF
    ⁃    JPM SF
    ⁃    JPM SF
    ⁃    JPM NY
    ⁃    Moelis LA
    ⁃    Moelis NYC
    ⁃    Morgan Stanley SF
    ⁃    Morgan Stanley SF 
    ⁃    Houlihan Lokey NYC
    ⁃    UBS LA
    ⁃    ARES DL LA
    ⁃    Ares PE LA
    ⁃    PWP LA
    ⁃    Guggenheim Menlo
    ⁃    HL LA
    ⁃    Greenhill Rx NYC 
    ⁃    Ducera LA
    ⁃    Lazard LA
    ⁃    Lazard NYC
    ⁃    Audax PE
    ⁃    PJT Tech SF
    ⁃    PJT Tech SF
    ⁃    Deutsche Bank SF
    ⁃    William Blair NYC
    ⁃    Citi NY

You say LA/SF is 100x less impressive than NY yet your most recent post is....

Shafted For SA 2025 Recruitment. Next Steps?

Controversial

This thread is for summer 2025 and all of you are shitting on an intern for summer 2024. Regardless of how shit or how dumb or undeserving you think this kid is. He still received an offer which is very hard to get hence why you all are fuming about it. Instead of talking all that shit behind the screen or doxxing him why don’t you go say it to his face or ask him how he did it and learn something. Better yet use that same energy you using to talk shit and land an offer at Centerview. Oh wait I forgot it’s easier to hate than it is to go out and land centerview.

Ok Prospect in RE-Comm I understood it the first few times you've commented this but this is like the 6th thread I've seen you mention diversity on in the span of a week. Tell me, how did Jamal and Stacy  treat you back in high school?

You simply got beat out. And even if you are “more qualified in every metric” you have to realize the world isn’t fair. The sooner you accept this the better.

Anonymous Monkey:

Shit is not fair when there is dumb black kids like the one who interned at RBC and did absolutely dog shit taking my spot man. 

This is absolutely egregious. Please take a look at yourself in the mirror and reconsider your character.

Can someone please confirm or deny that the kid lost his offer for this summer at CVP. I keep hearing different stories. Like his LinkedIn he has nothing there about cvp but I honestly don’t know someone who knows the kid or any reliable sources please chime in. 

Everyone defending the kid in question look at what an analyst at RBC said about him last summer. This is all facts and needs to be taken into account for why Centerview is on decline. Whoever pushed for him needs to fired as well because what do you see in someone like this.

"Before you go around defending this guy, try working with him first. Sure, he has an admirable story, but he has to be the shittiest intern in RBC history. I don't care if you get a life changing job if you simply can't perform the basic functions of such job that is expected out of an intern. There is no reason his "work ethic" in networking couldn't have been applied to the job. 

Some reasoning behind this: 

- work that is absolutely riddled with errors 

- disappearing for hours from his desk to hang out with buddies or straight up leave the office

- rubbing into our faces 24/7 how he's not coming back next summer and going to be richer than us at CVP

- straight up leaving work undone 

- being late to meetings 

- not fully addressing comments and making me repeat comments multiple times

- responding to asks a day or two later for no reason

- randomly taking days off for no reason

- making jokes that are completely out of pocket

- showing up to work high

- coming in at noon and leaving by 3pm

- generally just being a complete pain in the fucking ass to work with

NOTE: ALL OF THE ABOVE HAS BEEN DONE MULTIPLE TIMES. One-off mistakes are fine. You cannot keep making these mistakes because you simply don't care

The mid-term review he got was absolutely justified and there were pushes by people to have him fired midsummer.

I feel bad for CVP. Talking to him at first, you wouldn't have known he was like this. Don't know why you're mindlessly defending this guy. If you're him, I'll see you at work tommorow (or not lol)."

We used to conquer countries out of boredom. Now we spend our time doxing random black (and admittedly over-confident) kids because they fucked up their last internship and upgraded to a better one? Kids a literal intern with a 30+ year career ahead of him to fix up lmao.

Perhaps the west has truly fallen, though I’m starting to think this is more-so due to the pathetic oestrogen filled gen z men who all adopt a victim complex in some way. Whether that be a black kid falsely claiming racism or in your case, a white kid saying others got offers solely because they are black.

Do you ever think Centerview Analysts see these post? I’m curious because I wonder why they never chime in.

Because they are actually professional unlike these uncouth rbc bankers contributing to the dox of a kid. 

They have better things to do—people can drag the name through the mud all they want, but the league tables don’t lie 🤷‍♂️

I think what it comes down to insecurities. When you know like these college students who strike out. There is someone who worked maybe smarter and not harder than you doing better than you in life instead wanting to learn from them you want to attack them at every given cost. 

Womp womp. Go cry about it.

Time and time again I hear of non-targets beating out Wharton and Harvard grads because they know how to grind. The network wasn’t handed to them just by attending the school, they had to work for it. Sure, there’s probably some level of extra help by alumni, but that’s because entitled target school kids like you suffocate them if not.

Learn how to work harder than the non-targets, and maybe you’ll have a meaningful career. I hope this is somewhat of a reality check.

it's more that there is such an advantage with diversity...

This is an anonymous forum, but if you vocalize this kind of thing in the real world, you're going to have real problems in your career. No one wants to work with/for someone who has a superiority complex before they have done anything of note in the real world. There are people that are equally as smart (if not smarter) than those at Ross/Wharton/Harvard that chose to go to different schools for a variety of factors like family, cost, athletics, campus life, and more. When you enter the work force, it won't matter what school you went to or how "prestigious" your target/semi-target school was. If you go into banking, the only thing anyone will care about is if you can do the job at a high level and get deliverables done on-time. I would rather work with a banker who went to community college online who got the job done right every time than a Harvard grad who spends all day complaining about those "beneath" them who are "less qualified" to be in the industry instead of being productive. 

I'm not going to get into a name calling match with a teenager on an anonymous forum. I will just say that I worked in PE for a very long time before switching to SVP of a Corp Dev team at a F100 company, meanwhile you can't land an internship even with all your "prestige" at a target school. If someone takes pity on you and lets you into IB, you'll find out very quickly that your bosses wine and dine "scrubs" like me because we are the ones who decide which banks get used in deals and get the fees from our transactions. In the meantime, you should look in the mirror and figure out why you aren't good enough on a personal or professional level that people would rather hire "less qualified" people than work with you. 

This is super true - as a student at a target, everything you said was true. Except for where you mentioned that non-targets might be “equally smart”. Seems quite conservative - the non-targets who get these superdays and offers worked their asses off and tend to be much, much smarter than some of their target counterparts. Norte Dame, UT, Dartmouth, and UVA just to name a few have so many kids who were smart enough to get into a target, just got unlucky, and then recruit with a chip on their shoulder. It’s so competitive and everything you said is so true about bankers sentiment.

Controversial take but there’s a small shift beginning IMO away from traditional targets (Harvard is one that clearly comes to mind) and towards traditional semi-targets. Take EVR for an example (no Harvard 2025 SAs but UT, NYU, and a host of other “semi-targets” took the spots). Also PJT RSSG is another interesting case study with UMich and NYU coming in. In any case, as someone at a target, semi-target kids work their ass off AND are naturally smart. Finding the best semi-target student definitely is comparable to the average target student, except you have a greater guarantee that the student will work his ass off on the job. Controversial, but please let me know what others have seen happening today!

Idk if target kids aren’t as competitive. But have def seen a trend of blaming everything bad on non targets & diversity hires. Seems to be easy to blame others when often times people just aren’t performing. If someone works their ass off to get in regardless they are prob going to perform better on the desk. The job isn’t that hard, grit will get you farther 9/10 times. And those untraditional students who don’t have all the connections and prestige that targets have often have more of it.

I have friends at Dartmouth and don't understand why your calling it a non-target. Pretty sure CVP has on campus interviews for them and from what I heard, Dartmouth alum are the most loyal and will pull more for you than the alums at other Ivy's because the school's community is very close

I know a person from a complete non-target school who landed CVP this year. By far that person is a very strong candidate. He/she landed a very solid BB sophomore summer as well as a top BB and a lower tier EB 2025 SA offer before receiving CVP. It’s really not a matter of school but you having this mindset…..

Esse libero vel provident inventore est consequatur. Ut consequatur et ad. Quia aspernatur doloribus consequatur.

Aut natus aut odit sapiente. Recusandae iure velit qui cupiditate ex neque. Rerum beatae rerum ut enim magni. Omnis aliquam non et neque.

Sit dolorum maiores maxime quaerat iure. Quod eius corrupti ratione itaque minima enim.

Autem totam qui dolores et atque consequatur vel sit. Error omnis distinctio voluptatem cum id pariatur autem impedit. Quo nulla nam et laudantium modi rem.

Aut facilis ipsa blanditiis molestiae totam laborum. In exercitationem odio qui at natus officiis. Iste sed optio dolores sed earum porro. Pariatur sed exercitationem iusto.

Quia esse laborum et accusantium sunt sunt reprehenderit laborum. Voluptatibus ad molestias deserunt in aut. Aut omnis voluptatum sunt fugit. Repellendus neque dicta est nihil labore.

Aut quo non praesentium dolor et incidunt maxime. Dolores maiores exercitationem sapiente voluptatem nam ut veritatis rerum. Et autem et sed quis ea maiores. Quibusdam maxime aut aliquid aut error aspernatur sit.

Dolores minus atque qui occaecati eius. Occaecati et facilis veniam dolores unde reiciendis repudiandae. Vero et tenetur cupiditate impedit non nihil praesentium.

Minus culpa officiis magnam non voluptates occaecati aut. Porro sint consequatur sed.

Et est cum ducimus dolores est occaecati sint. Nihil dignissimos voluptas ipsum et. Voluptatum quos ea aut autem a.

Aperiam quae autem autem porro beatae nostrum debitis. Quia quas temporibus sapiente sapiente nemo perferendis. Voluptatem voluptatem et exercitationem. Aperiam quisquam ad facilis voluptas fugiat vitae. Est incidunt ea molestiae est ullam non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”