MSc in Finance: apply to LSE for 2024, or work on a high GMAT score and apply to target schools in Europe for 2025?

I am a female with a non-target undergraduate integrated master's degree in International Business & Modern Languages, incl. a one-year exchange at a grande ecole in France, with a strong leadership profile. Since graduation in 2022, I have completed internships at a buy-side EB family office (rotation in Equities/Funds/PE/VC) and a sell-side mid-cap TMT boutique firm, both in London. I also completed a tech placement at a large US corporation during my studies. My plan now is to pursue a career in TMT investment banking, and I am considering options for studying a MSc in Finance. I am currently preparing for the GMAT while doing an internship in IB. I have two options: I could apply to the MSc in Accounting & Finance at LSE starting in September 2024 (does not require the GMAT), or request for my current internship to be extended (fixed term - no opportunity to convert due to small team) and work on achieving a high GMAT score to apply to other schools whose application processes open in October. Is LSE's MSc in Accounting and Finance worth it, or should I hold off to work on the GMAT and apply to other target schools i.e. Bocconi/HEC/LBS etc for 2025?

I would extent your internship. Your master could be the last degree you get so aim for the best. The fact that are female is stupid but will help a lot because most that apply are male. Have a strong experience and GMAT and aim for the top: LSE MSc Finance Or Oxford Financial Economics or HEC MiF or LSE MSc Finance and Private Equity. Good luck

Most Helpful

At the risk of sounding like an incel, you're a woman, so you'll be fine regardless. I've seen girls with essentially zero experience from worse universities get BB/EB SA spots without breaking a sweat. As to your question, recruiters only really focus on the school you attend - specific programs aren't as important (as I've gathered from students/alumni of target MSc's and employees involved in CV screening) and differences in placement between them mostly come down to the quality/motivation of the admitted students themselves. Hence, LSE A&F, combined with your already strong profile, would serve you well. If I were in your shoes, I would apply for the current intake and reapply for Sept. 2025 in case of rejection.

To infinity... and beyond!

Veritatis unde nulla quae mollitia. Natus officia sit ut fuga nulla aut.

Eum sed commodi dolor est accusamus iste nemo. Quam impedit quod earum. Sunt voluptates qui dolores expedita sed error vel saepe. Asperiores voluptatem enim deserunt qui tempore natus voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”