Sciences Po & Berkeley [CAD$250k] vs University of Toronto [CAD$100k]

Context: Canadian from Toronto area. I’ve recently gotten interested in public sector & comms. consulting in the past year; I am still very interested in politics but I’d like to keep my options optimized if I do end up pursuing consulting. My goal to work in NYC/DC, not Canada, and I will do whatever I can to aim for that, including aiming for US + Canada dual citizenship before I am 35.

I am fully aware that it will be difficult or impossible to work in the USA, especially public sector, as a non citizen. 

I’m not 10000% sure I want to pursue grad school. Grad school isn’t guaranteed and I’d only do it if necessary.

Majors:

SciencesPo/Berkeley: Government, Econ (2 bachelors degrees)

UofT: Public Policy & Governance, Econ + Urban Studies

TLDR:

Which scenario would be optimal:

1. Sciences Po B.A., Berkeley B.A. (Political Econ) (2 years + 2 years + work experience, unless recruited from undergrad) ($250k CAD)
  2. UofT B.A. with an MBA or MPA/MPP/Related Master’s in a top target in the USA (4 years + work experience + 2/3 years ) (Max. $100k + 200k for a potentially unfunded Master's degree?)

Do play it safe or take a risk? I do not want to regret not taking the leap in the future and am looking to see if the boost from Berkeley as a Target in consulting would be worth it, as an international - my main point of hesitation is that I might not want it, or make it, after 4 years (i am still a small-brained 18yr old)

I like the idea of doing 1 bachelor degree, finding your path and then considering potential options after as you mention. 

Unless you've got a rich family, 250k is a lot to shell out here. Unless there's some really good alumni of this program. Do you have to add living expenses for Sciences Po whereas Toronto you can live at home?

Most Helpful

hutcointraders

I like the idea of doing 1 bachelor degree, finding your path and then considering potential options after as you mention.

I also like the idea of exploring my options (A bit scared of locking into consultancy) but I'm so scared that I'll be pigeonholing myself into Canada since I've read so many stories of people who wish they went into consulting from a target undergrad (which I have the opportunity to go to)

Unless you've got a rich family, 250k is a lot to shell out here. Unless there's some really good alumni of this program. Do you have to add living expenses for Sciences Po whereas Toronto you can live at home? 

My parents may be selling assets (shoutout GTA housing market!). It's still a burden obviously, but we aren't going into debt.

I have a list of the alumni and it seems they're mainly European or Californian, so most get jobs in French/Euro govts. or work for consulting/tech/govt in the US. I suspect a large chunk of them are already from rich families....lol

I live too far from UofT to live at home, and Sciences Po housing is cheaper than UofT housing by a mile lol.
A breakdown of the costs for the dual degree is:

Berkeley co-op housing is about $11k USD per year. $22k all in all. A conservative estimate for my time at Berkeley would be $130k USD or $178k CAD plus flights/other costs.

Sciences Po is $45k CAD for tuition, $12k CAD for housing both years, $10k for living expenses, plus additional costs. A conservative estimate would be $72k CAD, making the total $250k CAD.

These are all figures I got from current students who are also international/out of state in the program.

Good thing about consulting is there is lots of exits, so you aren't really locked.

The bigger uncertainty for me is your right to work. Do you even get a proper graduate visa from USA/France(EU), given the programs are 2 years but you get a full degree?

While both programs are super targets in their geographies, I'm not sure how that affects you coming back to Canada. Obviously if you can land something in the states Berkley is a good name. 

hutcointraders

Good thing about consulting is there is lots of exits, so you aren't really locked.

The bigger uncertainty for me is your right to work. Do you even get a proper graduate visa from USA/France(EU), given the programs are 2 years but you get a full degree?

I meant locked in during my undergrad to go into consulting right after. Never rlly considered consulting up until like 8-9 months ago when I applied to colleges. 
I will have a STEM-OPT visa that will give me work authorization in the US for 3 years I believe - also, being Canadian, I can work in the USA with a TN1 visa at a consulting firm with no sponsorship, just a job offer

While both programs are super targets in their geographies, I'm not sure how that affects you coming back to Canada. Obviously if you can land something in the states Berkley is a good name. 

I do not want to come back to Canada. I'd like to reside permanently in the US if possible... hoping that a job in a good consulting firm could facilitate that. 

Is UofT truly good for consulting? Ivey and Queens Smiths is def. better lol but if I can likely transfer from Toronto office -> NYC office from a firm post-undergrad then say less lmao way less risk in that plan I think

I just talked to the dual degree coordinator... there is no guarantee I'd get a job post-grad but it's definitely possible and it's happened before - I've talked to several international-born alumni of this program now who have all told me the same thing, if I focus on making a consulting firm I could probably be able to get a job in one (maybe not MBB, but I will not be unemployed).

But at one point I will need a grad/professional degree from a US school. What path would be realistic and take me there with the least cost + urgency?

Berkeley → US employment → Sponsored degree

UofT → Canadian employment → US internal transfer → Sponsored degree

UofT → Canadian employment → full-pay/scholarship/fellowship degree

To be honest, ideally I'd love to take the path of uoft undergrad -> consulting in the US, since I'd get to explore a lot more at UofT with less pressure and I'd be more comfortable. But it is still hard to pass up this opportunity to possibly get American employment out of undergrad, even if it is not guaranteed... It's just a question of whether my safer path is realistic... (45% of recent MBB hires were straight from undergrad right?)

Perferendis ad consequuntur repudiandae quia voluptatem. Et molestias sit odio laborum sequi molestiae ea. Voluptates suscipit et soluta amet. Veritatis voluptas aspernatur neque beatae ab.

Doloremque velit impedit incidunt impedit et voluptatibus quia. Qui consequatur et neque. Blanditiis ut non architecto asperiores. Quod enim et et. Laudantium nihil sed assumenda sed cupiditate aut dolores. Nulla omnis aut expedita non similique non.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”